Star Wars Room Hovercraft Bed

Is that bed floating???

Our oldest youngling is a HUGE Star Wars fan.  Not only is Rowdy a HUGE fan, but he is also HUGE! Not even on the height charts, people!  My 9 year old was too big for his twin bed, so we upsized his bed to a queen. 

This was our starting point.  You can click here to see my first post about his Star Wars room.  I found an AMAZING tute on how to build a platform bed at My Family Loves It.  Heather listed board sizes and dimensions and made it so easy to make.  

We stared with the base.  I think my husband modified the board height here, but followed the instructions to assemble.  We painted the wood before we assembled it with a can of oops paint from Lowe's.  The color was Fly by Night.  It's a dark, rich navy.

The Hunk had to use a bit o torque to get them assembled.

Here is a pic of the platform frame that the mattress lays on.

Be sure to place the bed EXACTLY where you want it.  It is uber heavy and there is no moving it once it's in place without complete disassembly.

There is another plywood piece for the top, but we left it off to show how to put it together.

Here is complete assembly.  I hadn't completed his quilt at this point.  Notice the lights?

We had a leftover roll of rope light from Christmas that we added to the bottom platform with the hanging pegs from the rope light manufacturer.

Here is a nighttime shot.  This is a great nightlight.  It's not as bright as this pic shows, but does the trick! It also saves on electricity if you get the right type of energy efficient rope light.

For the quilt, I found out how to make a rag quilt.  My sewing skills are... well... meh, but I can at least sew straight lines!  I had saved Rowdy's Star Wars shirts for the past few years and stitched them together with blue jeans scraps and his old fitted twin sheets.

All of the material used are from his wardrobe, old sheets, or torn jeans.

His favorite color is orange, so we incorporated that as much as possible per his request.  All the material used in this quilt come from his old clothes, sheets, or ripped jeans.

The bottom side was an alternating pattern of an old twin sheet and an old navy sheet.

This is finished product pic.   We completed this over a year ago and it's still going strong. 

Below is a photo of how his room looked when we staged it to sell.  His bed was a huge selling point with their son!

I link to these parties.


PhotobucketPhotobucket photo bloglovin_zpsa59fa272.png photo instagram_zpsa69a0f97.png

Follow Me Here

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket  photo instagram_zpsa69a0f97.png